Roscommon Abbey - RO039-055001
The Dominican friary of Rosocmmon established by Felimid O'Conor in 1253. It was burned in 1270 and struck by lightning in 1308. By 1445 it was in disrepair when an indulgence was granted to restore its fabric, and in 1578 it was granted to Sir Nicholas Malby. In 1615 the friary was granted to Francis Viscount Valentia, but it had been described as in ruins in 1612. The ruins of the Church are located to the rear of the Abbey Hotel in Roscommon Town. The East and West gable survive as does the South wall and North Chapel. Section of the North Asile have been reset close to their original locations. (see below)
Grave Slab - RO039-055010
A large fragment of what might be a graveslab was recorded during Roscommon3D survey. It is cut into a square piece (L c. 1.2m; Wth 0.32m; T 0.08-0.13m) and incorporated into the coping around the O’Conor tomb. It was first noted by Brian Shanahan and recorded by Gary Dempsey in 2015. The stone has a raised band, probably from the stem of a cross, down the centre that bifurcates at one end. A raised image of what might be a cat with a small animal in its mouth overlies the stem. The placement of the stone is unusual and without the detailed survey of Brian Shanahan it may not have been recorded before the details were fully worn away. (See Above)
DiscoveryRO039-055007 & 055008
Two grave slabs were recorded by Gary Dempsey during survey works in 2015. One of these was noted by Bradley and Dunne (1988, 104) It has a moulded edge but no device on its upper surface can be detected
Sculptured Stone RO039-055009
A second carved stone (left) was be discovered above the O'Conor Tomb at Roscommon Abbey. The Caving, is set into the upper section of wall beside the carved graveslab (above). This is carvings is quite interesting in that it represents two beasts interlocked devouring each others tails.
Effigy Tomb - Phelim O'Conor - RO039-055004
The most remarkable attraction at Roscommon Abbey is the Tomb of Phelim O'Conor. A Son of Cathal Crobhdearg, his tomb sits in pride of place in an area to the North of the alter, reserved for the founder. The tomb is a composite of Phelim's effigy, which dates to the 13th C. with additional paneling depicting Gallowglass and possibly of a 15th C. tomb now lost.
A number of other carvings were once recorded at the site, including the sculpture of a female figure noted by Henry Crawford, said to be at the rear of a local garden. The remains of the base of a Gallowglass was also noted by John Hunt, and records show it was to be set into the wall oposite the O'Conor tomb but no sign of the loose carvings can be seen today.